November 19 | world day of the bathroom
THE POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE OF VIANA DO CASTELO, THROUGH THE ECOSAN PROJECT, IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
THE PORTAL OF SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION, PROMOTE THE:
IDEAS CONTEST FOR DRY SANITAS
Since 2001 and in several countries around the world, World Bath Day has been celebrated on 19 November to highlight the importance of basic sanitation for global health. It was officially recognized by the UN in 2013 and aims to alert the population to the fact that more than 2.4 billion people do not have access to a clean, safe and private bathroom.
- Do you know that?
More than 700,000 children die every year from diarrhea caused by polluted water and poor sanitation – nearly 2,000 deaths a day;
- One child dies every two minutes because of lack of water and hygienic conditions;
- Around the world, there are more people with cell phones than with toilet;
- More than 60 million children are born in homes without sanitation;
- 7,500 people die daily due to lack of sanitation, including 5,000 children under the age of 5;
- 272 million school days are lost each year due to sanitation-related illnesses;
- Only 47% of schools in the underdeveloped countries offer adequate sanitary conditions;
- Some countries lose 7% of GDP with health problems related to the lack of sanitary conditions;
- 2 million tons of human waste reaches daily water resources, contaminating the water;
- One billion people still defecate in the open air.
- This competition aims to stimulate the development and presentation of ideas and solutions that can be implemented based on the application of the principles of the Circular Economy, with a view to reducing consumption and water pollution.
The application models should be supported in green and sustainable solutions for homes located in places where there is no sewage network or connection to the sanitation network is not technically and economically feasible.
The acceptance by users of dry and / or low-flow toilets involves the development of a product with appealing design and competitive cost with conventional equipment available on the market.
The contribution to sustainability inherent in the integrated ecological sanitation model advocated in the ECOSAN project is reinforced by the design of the product considering its whole life cycle, in order to reduce environmental impacts, promoting eco-efficiency through ecodesign.
To participate you should read the REGULATION and accept the TERMS OF REFERENCE.
THE WINNER OF THE COMPETITION WILL BE AWARDED WITH:
A tablet 10.5 ” SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A 32 GB Wi-Fi;
A scientific mentoring and technical support to the development of the idea;
A copy of the book “Composting toilet system book: a practical guide to choosing, planning, and maintaining composting toilet systems” David del Porto;
An annuity as a member of the Sustainable Construction Portal.
DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS: FROM DECEMBER 21 TO 18H00
All the following documents available: